Lunar Eclipse Live Blog!
12:44 am CST So far: Clear and gorgeous here in Dallas. One edge of the moon is smudged out. I want to make hand puppets on the moon, but I can’t make a duck.
Also, I wouldn’t be up watching this if it weren’t for my nerd friends on the internetz…specifically, BadAstronomer, who blogged about it. And a bunch of people who are staying up to watch this kinda-super-cool events. Now, some tweets, and then I check to see if the moon is still there:
- @PaulandStorm [P] Shit officially getting real. #livetweetingthelunareclipse
- @CapnSue Looks like a red purple cancer cross the moon
- @CapnSue I can see why ppl in olden times thought this was scary
- @Stepto Not since a w00tstock have I been doing the exact same thing as so many geeks at once. 🙂
- @PaulandStorm [P] Someone please wipe off the moon; it’s got a little schmutz on it. #livetweetingthelunareclipse
- @PaulandStorm [P] No, that’s no good; you’re just spreading it around more. #livetweetingthelunareclipse
12:49am Now sitting on the front steps with all the animals. The moon is directly above me. I think I’ll take a few minutes and pull out the telescope (I actually have a spectacular one that I’m not terribly skilled at using.)
1:07am The telescope is out and set up, but useless as far as the lunar eclipse goes. Either it’s too bright, or I’m doing it wrong (quite possible), and/or the haze of cloud that just leapt between me and the moon is interfering too much. That’s okay though, still a great show. Moon more than half blocked out now.
@PaulandStorm [P] O HAI MOON I IZ ERF SHADDO IMA EET U KTHX OM NOM NOM! #livetweetingthelunareclipse
10:17am I just got some PERFECT shots (well, views) of the still-lit part of the moon through my telescope. It’s so different looking at the moon and other celestial bodies through a telescope, as opposed to looking at pictures. It really gives you a feel for it…that’s a whole other WORLD right there, this huge thing that sits out there all the time and pays me no mind. It’s a very rare twilight on the moon right now, and soon it will be night.
The wispy clouds were all white. Now they’re all red.
1:23am Moon 85% in darkness. I can now make out both the light and dark parts of it through the telescope quite clearly. Sorry guys, if I had known how cool this would be, I would have invited you over.
Also, the damn dogs ran off while I was staring at the sky. Morans.
1:29am Attemps to wake hubby and 5yo son to see the eclipse have failed. It’s just you and me, internetz.
- BadAstronomer Definite orange/red/brown coming out in dark part of Moon. Fainter stars visible. Tiny sliver is all that’s left.
Datachick tells me:
- We are here with you.
2:03am That…was cool. I packed it in, got my butt (and my dogs) inside, got me some cereal. Soon, bed. Goodnight, moon.