Larry North Diet, Me-version
The best diet that has ever worked for me is the Larry North Plan, which of course should be done in tandem with an excercise program. The diet is best explained in Larry’s Living Lean, which I highly recommend. The basics are that over a six week period, you follow a stricter and stricter diet that begins in week 1 thusly: Five meals a day, each with
- a lean protein (5oz)
- an unprocessed complex carbohydrate (1-1.5 cups, usually rice/oatmeal/potato)
- crunchy veg (1-3 cups)
In weeks 1-2, you get three cheat meals per week (but you don’t go overboard). In weeks 3-5 you get 1 cheat meal a week, and make “better bad choices” for your treats. Week 6 has no cheat meals. This program works well for me, because I’m constantly stuffing my face…with good, lean food. I’m not quite compulsive, but I get hungry very often, and when I’m hungry I eat!
You eliminate processed foods, extra fats, sugar, etc etc. These things add up bigtime. You give your body the fuel it needs to run well, and eliminate the stuff that makes you fat. By the end of the six weeks, you’ve eliminated butter, oil, eating out, jam, cream, soda, and cheat meals.
Of course, you can’t eat like this forever, but you’re (a) running through a boot camp to jump start your weight loss, and (b) retraining yourself to eat better overall. We can’t live on the pizzas and burgers, candy and ice cream, and “bored eating”…and then be sad and shocked when we keep gaining.
I just started the North program again yesterday – I’m doing yoga and the Couch-to-5k running for my workouts, starting last Monday – and here was yesterday’s menu:
- 8am Scrambled eggs (1 yolk, 4 whites) and oatmeal with honey
- 11am Leftover beef stew with a baked potato (no butter)
- 2pm 5 Power muffins
- 5pm Turkey noodle soup
- 8pm 2 Power muffins
I. Love. Food. I love eating. I love eating tons of food, all the time, and waking up 3/4 pounds lighter. Power Muffins, by the way, are this (recipe from Living Lean with Larry North):
- Ingredients: 10 egg whites, 2 peeled/chopped apples, 1/2 cup raisins, 2 cups rolled oats, 1 tablespoon honey, dash cinnamon.
- Method: Combine and mix on medium with electric mixer for 2 minutes. Place in greased muffin cups and bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.