Sean’s Perfect Coddled Eggs
Sean makes excellent coddled eggs. And “coddled” just means “soft boiled”…the perfect coddled egg has cooked whites, yolks still runny but thick. To make good coddled eggs, here’s what you do:
- Buy Jumbo eggs (not large).
- Put an inch of water in a saucepan, add a steamer basket (if you have one).
- Lid, boil.
- Put as many eggs in as you need in the pot. (They won’t cool the steam, that’s the advantage over boiling.)
- Lid, boil for 6.5 minutes.
- Take them out, put in ice bath for 30seconds.
- Take them out, peel and server on buttered toast with salt and pepper.
How to eat them? Well, peel the egg, put it on the toast and cut it in half. Add salt and pepper. As you do this, watch the yolk soak into the bread. Eat along with hot tea. Be amazed.
A perfect BOILED egg is 12 minutes.